"Fortifications of Vauban consists of 12 groups of fortified buildings and sites along the western, northern and eastern borders of France. They represent the finest examples of the work of Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1633-1707), a military engineer of King Louis XIV. The serial property includes towns built from scratch by Vauban, citadels, urban bastion walls and bastion towers. There are also mountain forts, sea forts, a mountain battery and two mountain communication structures. This property is inscribed as bearing witness to the peak of classic fortifications, typical of western military architecture. Vauban also played a major role in the history of fortification in Europe and on other continents until the mid-19th century." -http://whc.unesco.org
Postcard 1: Besançon
Thank you so much Laure for sending me this card from France!
Postcard 2: Longwy
Thank you so much for sharing the Longwy card with me, Ulla!
Postcard 3: Mont-Louis
A surprise postcard from Jean Pierre!
Maraming maraming salamat (Thank you, thank you so much) for always
helping me out with my collection.
So happy here! ^-^
The 12 Sites
- Arras, Pas-de-Calais: citadel
- Besançon, Doubs: citadel, city walls and Fort Griffon
- Blaye-Cussac-Fort-Médoc, Gironde: citadel of Blaye, city walls, Fort Paté and Fort Médoc
- Briançon, Hautes-Alpes: city walls, Redoute des Salettes, Fort des Trois-Têtes, Fort du Randouillet, ouvrage de la communication Y and the Asfeld Bridge
- Camaret-sur-Mer, Finistère: Tour dorée (lit. "Golden Tower") aka. Tour Vauban
- Longwy, Meurthe-et-Moselle: ville neuve
- Mont-Dauphin, Hautes-Alpes: place forte
- Mont-Louis, Pyrénées-Orientales: citadel and city walls
- Neuf-Brisach, Haut-Rhin: ville neuve/Breisach (Germany): gateway of the Rhine
- Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Charente-Maritime: city walls and citadel
- Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue/Tatihou, Manche: watchtowers
- Villefranche-de-Conflent, Pyrénées-Orientales: city walls, Fort Libéria and Cova Bastera